Our vision is to be an exemplary gifted program, to advocate for and meet the needs of each student in the North Dade Gifted Program, and to be an inspiration to all gifted educators.
The mission of the Center for Creative Learning (CCL) is to provide gifted middle school students with a challenging and safe environment that encourages lifelong learning and proactive involvement in our changing global society.
Toward this end, the Center for Creative Learning Program offers: Rigorous academic curriculum that promotes high levels of student achievement. Meaningful activities that foster self-esteem and acceptance through stimulating intellectual challenge. Opportunities for exploration and development of creativity through student choices. Access to advanced technology integrated into curriculum and instruction
GIFTED PROGRAM GOALS
- To increase public awareness of the academically gifted program including student characteristics and needs, appropriate programs, and applicable rules and procedures.
- To identify all students in need of services.
- To implement staff development and support to provide quality educational planning for gifted students.
- To meet the diverse needs of gifted students through a continuum of service delivery models.
- To ensure parent involvement in educational program decisions related to the continuum of service delivery models.
- To provide continuous assessment through Education Plans to ensure that the needs of individual students are being met.
North Dade Middle School Philosophy
North Dade Middle School is dedicated to providing students with programming that will promote their unique cognitive, social, and emotional potential. Students with gifted abilities exist in all ethnic, geographic, and socioeconomic groups. Continuous search and nomination will ensure that all students participate in an appropriate learning environment. Cooperation and collaboration among parents, schools, and communities will ensure a continuum of service delivery models to maximize the potential of our gifted population. Continuous staff development and program evaluation will ensure quality programming. Students exiting our program will be prepared as independent, lifelong learners and leaders in our ever-changing society.
Highlights of the Gifted Program:
• Compacting (Diagnostic/Prescriptive)
• Creative or Critical Thinking Skills
• Interdisciplinary/Multidisciplinary learning
• Socratic Questioning
• Technology based
• Enrichment and Acceleration
• Extracurricular services
North Dade Middle Schools strive to meet the diverse needs of gifted students through a continuum of service delivery options, including:
• Balanced heterogeneous grouping
• In-class flexible grouping
• Differentiated instructional units
• Learning centers
• Computer-based instruction
• General exploratory activities
• Cluster grouping
• Resource support
• Tiered assignments
• Curriculum compacting
• Remediation services
• Resource classes
• Subject grouping
• Behavior contracts
• Independent study
• Subject/grade level acceleration
North Dade Middle School supports the current definition being used by the U.S. Office of Education to identify students in need of differentiated services as an academically gifted student. The current definition indicates that the gifted child is one who:
• Performs or shows potential for performing at remarkably high levels of accomplishment when compared with others of their age, experience, or environment.
• Exhibits high-performance capability in intellectual areas and/or specific academic fields
• Requires differentiated educational services beyond those ordinarily provided by the regular education program
• Exhibits outstanding abilities in children and youth from all cultural groups, across all economic strata, and in all areas of human endeavor